The animating vision of the Black World Media Network (BWMN) is the construction and consolidation of a dynamic digital platform that informs, educates, empowers, and connects families, communities, and nations across today’s diverse Black world.
Our mission is to creatively utilize the modern tools of information technology (IT) to realize this vision. We will build a ubiquitous, multimedia network with compelling content that can be accessed anywhere, anytime and on any device with a connection to the Internet.
The text, audio, and video content that we create, and curate will be livestreamed to the World Wide Web and to all major social media platforms, smart phones, and soon to TV via video apps. Other content will be made available on-demand and our archived content will be searchable on our flagship site—blackworldmedia.net.
Today’s Black world does not exist in isolation. It is subjected to the same political and economic forces that shape international relations. The powerful forces of global white nationalism, fascism and autocracy produce a combination of lethal contradictions affecting the Black World Today.
Our network must become an antidote to the lies, misinformation, disinformation, propaganda, and conspiracy theories about Black people and other people of color that emanate from global white authoritarianism.
Now, more than ever, we must affirm the inherent dignity and humanity of Black people around the world.
It is imperative for us in the Black World to be aware of the news events breaking out across the globe each day and to interpret these events through the lens of our collective values and interests. That’s why BWMN will place great emphasis on up-to-date news, analysis, context, and interpretation. BWMN will also have the capacity to broadcast live events, conferences, protests, and demonstrations taking place across the Black world.
In the final analysis, however, it is news, information, conscious and righteous music, and cultural exchanges about and for each other that will connect and empower the peoples of the Black world and will inspire collective action towards progressive social change in a world of peace and justice.
More on BWMN’s Mission
- The BWMN is currently aggregating and curating news, information, and commentaries from a wide variety of news agencies, Web sites and publications across the Black world.
- In the coming months, BWMN will produce and distribute original programs and podcasts hosted by prominent scholars, activists, journalists, policy and systems analysts and leaders in various professions.
- Centerpiece of the BWMN is Black World Radio, a 24×7 audio streaming service that combines conscious, progressive music by talented and committed artistes, (some old school, others more contemporary) from communities and countries across the Black world with news headlines, short commentaries, jingles, and public service announcements.
- Complementing our Livestream radio service is our video service, both streaming and on-demand news and cultural videos. These videos are aggregated into a searchable database and the videos can be shared with those in a viewer’s own network.
- Soon, these videos will be streamed directly to TV sets with OTT devices (Over the Top) such as Roku, FireTV, AppleTV, etc.
- Where can the BWMN be found? On the Web at www.blackworldmedia.net; on social media platforms YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Through downloadable mobile apps. BWMN’s content can be accessed via tablets, laptops, and cell phones. Listeners can connect these devices to their car radio systems.
- BWMN is designed to be an interactive network, i.e., to provide a range of tools for our listeners and viewers around the world to connect with us and with each other, to share information, ideas, and perspectives with each other.
- In this regard, listeners to the Black World Radio streaming service will have the ability to share what they are listening to in real time with others via their respective Facebook pages and Twitter feeds. They will also be invited to submit their suggestions for music tracks that can be integrated into our playlists.
- Our Network has set up a global number (888-575-8502) for listeners across the Black world to call and leave a brief recorded message (shout outs, anniversary greetings, ‘Big Ups’, public service announcements, etc.) that will be inserted into our audio Livestream and available to listeners around the world.
- One of the key goals of the Network is to encourage active engagement on the part of our listeners and viewers in the civic life of their communities and countries.
- The perils, contradictions and existential challenges confronting Black people around the world today require engaged responses from civil society activism which occupies a crucial space in the modern-day Pan-Africanist movement.
- Our digital network will create a platform to advance this global civil society activism.
- Unlike some similar initiatives that are to be launched soon on a subscription basis (e.g. Roland Martin’s project) the BWMN will offer its services free of charge to the global black public.
- The Black World Radio will soon have the capacity to digitally broadcast live reports from conferences, protests and demonstrations across today’s diverse Black world.